We stayed at a great all-inclusive place, the Riu Palace, which is where Deighton and Adrian got married on Friday (8-8-08). It was beautiful! Let's just say that within minutes of checking in we were greeted with great margaritas! That first day we took the time to check out the resort (which was huge) and the ocean. We learned after a quick swim why the ocean there is typically not recommended for swimming....I had fun getting all that sand out of my bathing suit. Too bad the water was just so beautiful! That night we met up with everyone for a great meal at the resort Japanese restaurant. Then for a nightcap I went with JM and Adrian horseback riding on the beach.The next day started with breakfast in bed. Those who know me know that I am obsessed with room service!!! The rest of the day was all about the pool and laying out in the water! We alternated between Mojitos and Pina Coladas....YUM! The resort was amazing in that someone was always there to assist you, take your drink order and there were plenty of sun chairs. Best of all, when we got tired, hours after a big buffet lunch, we just went back to the room, cooled down, and ordered a snack or two. At the risk of totally sounding like an alcoholic, we were also amazed that in every room there was a refrigerator full of beer, sodas, and water and also a mini bar of liquor in upside down bottles. I decided to poor myself some scotch just to try it (never have) and upon drinking it, started to choke, couch and could barely swallow it....ah, free is nice because if you don't like it, you just poor it out (which I promptly did). That night was the rehearsal dinner which was at the resort steakhouse. The food was fabulous and it was fun to sit at a table with Deighton's other married friends....even the singles' table was not laughing as hard as we were!
On Friday was Deighton and Adrian's wedding! JM and I hung out by the pool in the morning and then I went to help the bride and bridesmaids get dressed (my favorite part of a wedding). I got some great pics and became quite a master of getting sashes tied just right.
We then went down the beach for the ceremony which of course was beautiful! D&A were awesome and so excited to finally tie the knot!
After the ceremony, we had the entire gourmet Mexican restaurant for the reception. Adrian's Mom surprised the couple with a Mariachi Band when they first arrived. Then we ate like pigs on such amazing food and watched the cutest slide show of D&A. Finally, we all headed over to the discotheque for dancing and drinks. The couple had their first dance, family dances and then totally surprised us (and anyone else who has never been to a Mexican wedding) by breaking this huge bag of toys/favors....I don't even know what to call it. There were hats, sunglasses, glow bracelets, flashing tiaras.....if for even one second you thought you were too tired to dance, this changed your mind! It was hilarious seeing everyone looking crazy and dancing their tails off! Little did I know that this is a Mexican tradition where the weddings go until 6am in morning. I think D&A lasted until 4am, at which point JM and I had been asleep for a couple of hours!After our trip, we decided to go help D&A move their luggage into their honeymoon suite. They are staying at the Sheraton this whole week and Adrian gave us a tour. It is also a beautiful resort and of course we took pictures.
That night we went out on the town. We ate dinner at a great taco place and then took a tour of the nightclubs, including El Squid Roe.
On Sunday JM and had a great last meal at the resort and then caught a plane back to DC. We were so sad to leave...but after gaining 5 pounds I guess it was time. Can't wait to vacation again in Cabo! Happy wedding D&A!
No comments:
Post a Comment