So John Mark and I decided to take the plunge and signed up with Team in Training to complete a century ride (100 miles) in October. I have been talking about riding a century for years...literally, but there was law school, health concerns and the big one...no bikes. Now that bikes have been bought, gone is our favorite Saturday activity: sleeping in. Instead, we are going to train all summer in order to compete in the (very flat) Sea Gull Century, on the eastern shore of Maryland.The whole concept of Team in Training has always been appealing to me. I really like the fact that you are given coaching, training and a schedule so that you don't have an excuse to get out of a tough endurance event. I for one, need the accountability and the know-how. I also like that's a social event (no surprise there) and best of all, that John Mark and I get to do it together (well, if we don't kill each other).
The somewhat uncomfortable part is the fundraising. Yes, to participate with Team in Training, we each have to raise $2,000.00 for a combined total of $4,000.00 that goes directly to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I am not so great at the letter writing/emailing thing, but we hope to make up for it in the many talents of "enticing people to drink over-priced alcohol for a good cause." In other words, it's a great excuse to throw lots of happy hours and that, my friends, makes us happy.

18 miles into our 36 mile ride...my nostiles are flared because I can barely breath!
So, the kickoff for Team in Training in the DC area is May 15th, but in my best efforts to make sure I'm not dead last during our first group ride, we have been hitting the biking trails early to get in some mileage. Well, in an effort to bike 36 miles 2 days after having two teeth removed, I totally bit it....I mean hard...I mean I cried (the sunglasses and helmet may have helped dsiguise that). As of today (4 days later), I am still pretty black and blue and have to have an x-ray on my wrist (just in case). I was told I am now official biker...hmmm, whatever that means. The good thing is that at end of my day, I still can't wait to get on a bike and for a girl who's not a huge fan of exercise, this is a very good thing.
Lots more to come! In the mean time, here is our Team in Training website.
1 comment:
Good luck with the training! It will be an awesome feeling crossing the finish line!
Post a Comment