So I (Weatherly) have been reading John McArthur's Commentary on the book of Matthew recently and am struck by the man of John the Baptist. When I think of him, I remember his story, but when looking deeper, I realize just how much I have missed. I had no idea that Jesus referred to him as the "greatest of men" (Matthew 11:11). Wow, seems like I would definitely want to be more like this guy, except if I'm honest, I'm not sure, because it seems so uncomfortable. First of all, John the Baptist was filled with the Holy Spirit even before his birth which is an amazing fact (Luke 1:15b). Secondly, his life purpose was to make way for the arrival of Christ. But it was not a bunch of press releases or bios, it was calling on Israel to repent of their sins and be baptized. Two interesting facts here (per McArthur): 1. As God's chosen people, the Israelites thought they were doing things right but along comes a man who challenges their very heart. 2. Baptism was not a known concept at the time. Ceremonial washing for the atonement of sin was a consistent (not one time) command and did not include the whole body. In fact, the only people who went through a similar cleansing where Gentiles when they accepted the Jewish faith. So John not only tells the Israelites they need to repent (a cleansing of their hearts), but has them go through a ceremonial cleansing only for Gentiles (a despised people group). Talk about controversial! And finally, John lived in the wilderness, eating only locusts and wild honey and wearing a "garment of camel's hair, and a belt about his waist" (Matthew 3:4). Not exactly a suit and tie of today's age or even the robes of the religious leaders of the time. I am convicted how I would act around someone so radical, who shook up my faith and lived so differently. Admittedly, growing up in a formal church, I still hold fast to my traditions of dress code and propriety. But here, we see "the greatest man" as proclaimed by Christ with one thing- a passion to make way for his Lord, without any regard to being proper or likable. Oh to have that kind of courage and commitment that only comes from the Holy Spirit!
No comments:
Post a Comment