
So as promised, John Mark and I were tourists on Saturday. Since it's chilly out, we decided to visit the National Portrait Gallery. Very cool place overall, but my favorite exhibit was named "
One Life: KATE, A Centennial Celebration," a small part of the gallery featuring the life of Katherine Hepburn. Most of the collection is posted online, but it was a really interesting look into one of Hollywood’s greatest. I learned that her four Oscars for Best Actress is still a record to this day. They did have her Oscars on display and I was disappointed to see that Oscar has gotten a little cheap over the years. Her first Oscar is definitely the nicest looking one. Ok, but in all reality, who is complaining about winning an Academy Award. The rest of the gallery was very interesting. It included everything from portraits of Robert E. Lee and other civil war heroes to a folk art exhibit which featured a very demonic looking pig. New to the gallery was a
Hip-Hop exhibit. I was not sure what to think of the giant over-the-top portraits of rap artists, however the photography was very good. After being there for about two hours John Mark and I insisted that the museum made us tired and that we would have to tour the rest of the portrait gallery another day.

For dinner we met at
Zaytinya, a restaurant which specializes in Eastern Mediterranean tapas. Thankfully, our friends Marissa and Peter recommended the fabulous sangria! The atmosphere was very chic and food and company was great! John Mark's birthday is this next week so if anyone has any great DC restaurant suggestions, please send them our way.
1 comment:
Hi Weatherly! Glad to hear you and John Mark are enjoying DC - I definitely miss living there! I'm not sure if you two like French food but a good restaurant suggestion (either for John Mark's birthday or any other night), is Bistro Du Coin in Dupont Circle ... http://bistrotducoin.com/ ... it gets a little packed so I recommend making reservations. The Escargot and Le Steak Maison are my personal faves but everything on the menu is amazing.
Hope you guys are doing well,
Mia Birkhead
Post a Comment