Tuesday, February 5, 2008

My Heritage

So my mother called me early January with a great idea to surprise my grandmother by me and my sisters going to see her in Northern California. We were successful and she thankfully did not have a heart attack as we raided her house this weekend. We were in town as well for a giant slumber party composed of all the women related to my great-grandmother. It was awesome to catch up with my cousins since I had not seen most of them in 15 years!

Surprising our Momo! Just after we had walked in.


Many of you know that my mother's whole side of the family is Native American. We often show off our tribal membership cards as party tricks. We are all proud members of the Great Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma although some of us look a little lighter than others- I think I won the glowing leg contest!


All of the ladies related to Momo Price


While catching up I had to ask the question: What did the family name, Hahklotubbe, mean? I knew it was something violent, nothing like zen or peaceful like "running dear." Well, I found out that it means "silent before killing" or "thinks before killing." Hmmmm, so while they were explaining the deep importance of the name, I thought about it, and promptly responded, "Gee, sounds like first degree murder to me!" So there you have it- I get in touch with my roots only to find out my ancestors should be locked up! Oh the joy of family!

No comments: